We were awestruck at the competence and intelligence of SIRI and the introduction of autopilot in cars. But this was just the tip of the iceberg. Science fiction has portrayed robots powered by AI as good as humans.
With all the research and development going on, we can say that AI has now become competent enough to search for answers from Google’s SERP to make intelligent use of the technology. One such marvel of AI is the humanoid robot Sophia who has been granted citizenship by Saudi Arabia.
What is AI?
John McCarthy coined the term artificial intelligence as early as 1950. According to him the learning process of human beings and their ability to understand and feel things can be incorporated into a machine. He provided a way forward for the coming generation by saying that machines will one day become so sophisticated to process mental exercise that can only be performed by humans today.
Contemporarily, AI’s definition has now become narrow AI or weak AI in the sense that the technology is designed to perform specific functions like facial recognition, driving cars on autopilot, or conducting relevant searches on the internet. Narrow AI has become quite common now.
Scientists and tech buffs are trying to achieve the goal of creating a strong AI or general AI. Narrow AIs give much better results at performing specific functions assigned to them, AGI will be expected to perform as good as humans or outperform them sometimes in some cognitive functions. Every technology comes with some benefits and disadvantages. The article will explain the advantages and disadvantages of AI.
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence
• AI helps in eliminating the risk of human error by applying algorithms and executing them to give the most accurate result.
• It is immensely helpful in getting things done in conditions that pose problems for humans, like defusing a bomb.
• AI is available for assisting customers with generic problems.
• With the implementation of digital transformation, repetitive tasks are now performed by AI.
• AI helps in gathering information more efficiently and accurately and helping in the decision making process.
• Techs like SIRI, Alexa, Cortana, and OK Google have made life simpler. The earliest success of AI should be Google maps which reveal the real-time situation of traffic in an area and suggest routes to reach a location.
Disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence
• Creating an AI-powered tech is not cost-effective.
• Humans are becoming too much dependant on AI for getting things done thus, making them lazy and vulnerable to breach of privacy.
• AI has taken over many jobs as repetitive tasks that were previously performed by humans are done by AI.
• It does not have emotions. Therefore, AI-powered tech cannot be relied on to take emphatic decisions.
• The technology is still in its nascent stages and cannot be relied on completely. For instance, people cannot close their eyes and doze off while switching the mode of driving to autopilot.
Leave a Reply